Bay-scented smashed roast potatoes
- January 2019
- Serves 4
- Hands-on time 5 min, oven time 60-70 min
These bay-scented roast potatoes are smashed for an even crispier texture and make a wonderful addition to a big Sunday roast.
- Dairy-free recipes
- Gluten-free recipes
- 11.2g (1.7g saturated)
- 38.3g (3.1g sugars)
- 1kg small waxy potatoes, such as charlotte
- 4 tbsp olive oil
- 6 fresh bay leaves, torn if large
- Heat the oven to 200°C/180°C fan/gas 6. Line a roasting tin with non-stick baking paper. Put the potatoes in the prepared tin, add 1 tbsp oil, stir well and roast for 30-40 minutes until just tender.
- Remove from the oven and, using a potato masher, gently press down on the potatoes until they’re slightly flattened and broken down. Add the bay leaves and drizzle over the remaining oil. Stir well, then sprinkle with plenty of salt and freshly ground black pepper.
- Return to the oven for a further 20 minutes, then toss well (see Make Ahead) and roast for 10 minutes more or until the potatoes are crisp and golden.
Remove the potatoes from the oven after tossing them in step 2. Cool, cover with foil and keep at room temperature for up to 12 hours. Return to a hot oven for 10 minutes before serving.
Rate & review
Or, how about...?
More food for thought...
Subscribe to our magazine
Subscribe to delicious. magazine for HALF PRICESubscribe
Join our newsletter
Packed with menu ideas, recipes, latest competitions and more...