Fresh pea and mint tart
- August 2004
- Serves 6
- Hands on time 30 mins, plus 45 mins baking time
This fresh tasting recipe for pea and mint tart with pancetta makes the most of seasonal summer ingredients.
For a vegetarian alternative, try this pea, mozzarella and lemon tart.
- 62g (33.5g saturated)
- 33.3g (3g sugars)
- 350g ready-rolled shortcrust pastry
- Plain flour, for dusting
- 4 large organic eggs
- 130g diced pancetta
- 1 shallot, finely chopped
- 200g fresh peas (or frozen if out of season)
- Large handful fresh mint (about 30g)
- 350ml double cream
- 75g Parmesan, finely grated
- 50g Gruyère, finely grated
- Salad leaves, to serve
- Preheat the oven to 180°C/fan160°C/gas 4. Open out the pastry and roll it out on a surface dusted with plain flour so it’s just large enough to line a 23cm x 4-6cm deep loose-bottomed flan tin. Prick the base with a fork and chill for about 10 minutes. Line with baking paper and fill with baking beans or rice. Bake for about 10 minutes, remove the paper and beans and bake for a further 5 minutes.
- Break the eggs into a large bowl, dip a pastry brush into the white and brush the bottom of the tart. Pop it back into the oven for 1 minute, then set aside. This seals up the holes in the pastry so it won’t leak.
- Heat a pan and dry-fry the pancetta until golden and almost crisp, with the fat beginning to run. Add the shallot and cook for 2-3 minutes until softened, then scatter into the pastry case.
- Cook the peas in boiling salted water for 2-3 minutes. Refresh under cold water and drain again. Spill into the pastry case.
- Roughly chop the mint and add to the eggs in the bowl with the cream, grated Parmesan and Gruyère, a little salt and plenty of freshly ground black pepper. Whisk well. Put the tart on a baking tray and pour in the filling. Bake for 25-30 minutes until golden. Leave to cool, then remove from the tin. Serve warm or cold, with salad leaves.
Rate & review
Or, how about...?
More food for thought...
Subscribe to our magazine
Subscribe to delicious. magazine for HALF PRICESubscribe
Join our newsletter
Packed with menu ideas, recipes, latest competitions and more...