Crispy pan potatoes
- December 2016
- Serves 8
- Hands-on time 35 min, oven time 1 hour
Who can resist a pan filled with crispy, golden potatoes? Serve this easy, impressive side dish as an alternative to classic roast potatoes for your dinner party or Sunday lunch. They’re also special enough for celebrations such as Mother’s Day.
Click here for a full Sunday lunch menu to go alongside our crispy pan potatoes.
- Gluten-free recipes
- Vegetarian recipes
- 8g (5g saturated)
- 35.3g (1.7g sugars)
- 3.9 fibre
- trace salt
- 1.5kg waxy potatoes (such as charlotte), thinly sliced
- A few sprigs each fresh thyme and rosemary, and sage and bay leaves
- 75g unsalted butter
You’ll also need…
- 25-30cm ovenproof frying pan or cake tin (not too deep)
- Heat the oven to 200ºC /180ºC fan/gas 6. Cook the potatoes in a large pan of well-salted, boiling water for 3 minutes or until almost cooked. Drain well and lay out on a few sheets of kitchen paper to steam dry. When cool enough to handle, arrange the potato slices in handfuls in the pan, packing them in tightly and making sure they stand up straight.
- Tuck the herbs in among the potatoes. Melt the butter, then drizzle all over the potatoes. Season, then cook in the oven for 1 hour or until crisp on top and cooked through. Serve immediately.
Make light work of slicing the potatoes by using a mandoline or the slicing attachment on a food processor.
Chill the potatoes in the pan, covered with cling film, at the end of step 1 for up to 12 hours. Continue from step 2.
Click here to see a video of how to make these crispy pan potatoes are made:
Rate & review
Or, how about...?
Roasted pink fir apple potatoes with slow-cooked garlic
These crispy and golden slow-cooked potatoes with garlic are a wonderful accompaniment to roasted meats....
Crispy crushed potatoes with fennel and garlic
You had to be mad not to love the crispy crunch and soft flesh of...