- 400g raw beetroot, peeled and coarsely grated
- Small bunch spring onions, finely chopped
- 2 garlic cloves, crushed
- Small bunch fresh mint, chopped
- Finely grated zest and juice 1 lemon
- 3 tbsp plain flour
- 1 medium free-range egg
- 200g feta, crumbled
- 5 tbsp olive oil
- 200g mixed salad leaves
- 4 burger buns (optional)
- Working over the sink, wrap the grated beetroot in a clean J-cloth and squeeze out as much liquid as possible. In a large bowl, mix the beetroot, spring onions, garlic, mint, lemon zest, half the lemon juice, 2 tbsp of the flour and the egg, along with a good pinch of salt and pepper. When well combined, stir in the feta.
- Form the mixture into 4 burger-shaped patties and coat with the remaining flour. Heat a large frying pan over a medium-high heat with 3 tbsp olive oil and fry the patties for 4-5 minutes on each side until crisp on the outside and cooked through.
- Mix the remaining oil and lemon juice with a pinch of salt and pepper and toss with the salad leaves. Serve the burgers in buns with the salad.
- Double the ingredients to make 8 patties. Wrap 4 of the burgers in cling film and foil, then freeze. Cook from frozen in the oven at 200°C/180°C fan/gas 6 for 20-25 minutes until piping hot.