Black pudding in blankets
- December 2012
- Serves 6
- Hands-on time 30 min, oven time 30 min
Replace your chipolatas with black pudding or Spanish morcilla in this year’s pigs in blankets for a stand-out Christmas side dish (here they’re pictured surrounding the Christmas turkey). They can be made ahead and frozen ready for Christmas Day.
Or, swap out the chipolatas in favour of herby pork sausagemeat balls in these stuffed pigs in blankets.
- 12.4g (4.5g saturated)
- 4.3g (0.1g sugars)
- 16 British free-range streaky bacon rashers
- 8 fresh thyme sprigs, halved
- 16 slices – about 500g – black pudding or morcilla (see tips) any tough wrapping removed
- Preheat the oven to 180°C/fan160°C/gas 4. Lay each bacon rasher flat on a chopping board then, holding one end, run the flat edge of a kitchen knife blade along the length of it, gently pressing down to stretch the rasher to about double its size. Slice the bacon rashers in half lengthways, then arrange them into 16 crosses on the work surface.
- Lay a thyme sprig diagonally across each cross, then place a slice of black pudding in the centre. Bring the rashers up and over the black pudding, press the ends down on each other to secure, then flip over. Put on a baking sheet and roast for 30-40 minutes.
The smaller sausages of black pudding are best for this recipe. If you can find them, morcilla sausages (the Spanish version of black pudding) are great. Look out for them in Spanish delicatessens and some butchers.
Once assembled, put in a sealable container and freeze for up to a month. Cook from frozen, adding an extra 10 minutes to the cooking time.
Rate & review
Or, how about...?
Christmas trimmings, sides and sauces
Christmas wouldn't be Christmas without a feast of...
Make-ahead Christmas sides
Don't spend Christmas Day in the kitchen, use...
Christmas buffet recipes
If the kind of meal you are after...
Alternative Christmas roast recipes
Not a fan of turkey or just fancy...
Subscribe to our magazine
Subscribe to delicious. magazine for HALF PRICESubscribe
Join our newsletter
Packed with menu ideas, recipes, latest competitions and more...