Braised chicory and leeks with lanark blue cheese
- January 2015
- Serves 6 as a side dish
- Hands-on time 25 minutes, oven time 10-15 minutes
A lovely generous side dish recipe of braised bitter chicory, sweet leeks and creamy Scottish lanark blue cheese.
- 15.3g (5.9g saturated)
- 11.8g (3.2g sugars)
- 3 chicory (mixture of green and red), halved lengthways
- Icing sugar to dust
- Splash vegetable oil
- 1 large leek, sliced into 1cm whole rounds, then rinsed
- 30ml dry white wine
- 30ml vegetable stock
- Knob of unsalted butter
For the topping
- Small bunch fresh parsley
- 50g lanark blue cheese, plus extra to dot (see Know-how)
- 2 good chunks (about 100g) white crusty bread
- 1 shallot, finely chopped
- Finely grated zest 1 lemon
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- Heat the oven to 180°C/fan160°C/gas 4. Whizz the topping ingredients (except the oil) to coarse green breadcrumbs. Taste and season.
- Heat an ovenproof serving dish in the oven. Lightly dust the cut sides of the chicory with icing sugar. Heat a frying pan over a medium-high heat and add the chicory, cut-side down. Cook for 2-3 minutes until lightly caramelised.
- Heat a little oil in another frying pan and cook the leek for 4-5 minutes until soft. Add the chicory, cut-side up, and cook for 2-3 minutes to soften. Transfer the chicory and leek to the heated serving dish and add the wine, vegetable stock and butter.
- Scatter over the breadcrumbs to cover the chicory and leeks. Drizzle with the olive oil, dot with a few extra pieces of cheese and bake for 10-15 minutes until the crumbs are golden and the cheese is melted. Cool for 2 minutes, then serve with the rack of venison, if you like.
Make the topping 1-2 days ahead and keep covered in a bowl in the fridge. On the day, assemble the dish, ready to go in the oven. Once the venison is cooked, put the dish in the oven at the lower temperature.
Lanark blue is an artisanblue sheep’s milk cheese made in Scotland. Find it in good cheesemongers, or use crozier blue, roquefort or a vegetarian alternative.
Rate & review
Or, how about...?
Subscribe to our magazine
Food lovers, treat yourself this Christmas... Enjoy 12 months of magazines for £29.99 – just £2.50 an issue.Subscribe
Unleash your inner chef
Looking for inspiration? Receive the latest recipes with our newsletter