Bucatini cacio e pepe
- April 2023
- Serves 2
Cacio e pepe is one of those dishes that rely on the method as much as the ingredients. This one, from Bancone‘s executive chef Ben Waugh, is given extra richness and tang thanks to a little beurre blanc that’s added to the cheese and pepper paste.
No bucatini in the cupboard? Check out our easy spaghetti cacio e pepe.
- 58.2g (36.4g saturated)
- 55.1g (2.6g sugars)
- 100g pecorino, coarsely grated, plus extra, finely grated, to serve
- 1 tsp freshly ground black pepper
- 150g bucatini
- 4 tsp white wine vinegar
- 1 tsp white wine
- 1 black peppercorn
- 1 shallot, finely chopped
- Dash double cream
- 70g unsalted butter
- Bring a large pan of salted water to the boil. Put the pecorino and the pepper in a food processor with 80ml water and whizz into a paste.
- Add the bucatini to the boiling water and cook for 8-10 minutes, or until al dente. Meanwhile, put the vinegar, wine, peppercorn and shallot in a small saucepan and bring to a simmer. Cook until there’s only 1 tsp of liquid left, then strain this into a clean small saucepan. Add the cream, put back over a medium heat and start adding the butter bit by bit, stirring continuously, until you have a smooth, emulsified sauce. Add the pecorino paste and continue to cook over a low heat until it melts into the butter.
- Drain the bucatini, reserving a cup of pasta water, then toss it with the sauce, adding pasta water if you need to help it emulsify. Season with a pinch of salt, toss with a little more grated pecorino and serve.
Combining the pasta with the sauce and – crucially – a little pasta cooking water is what gives cacio e pepe its silky texture. Vigorously toss and mix the sauce and pasta whilst drizzling in a little water until you see the emulsification take place and everything should come together beautifully.
You can easily double the quantities of this recipe to serve 4.
Rate & review
Or, how about...?
Subscribe to our magazine
Food stories, skills and tested recipes, straight to your door... Enjoy 5 issues for just £5 with our special introductory offer.Subscribe
Unleash your inner chef
Looking for inspiration? Receive the latest recipes with our newsletter