Butterbean and vegetable stew
- September 2016
- Serves 4
- Hands-on time 30 min
Perfect for when time is short, this vegetarian one-pot is crying out to have big chunks of baguette dipped in it.
- 7.4g (1.2g saturated)
- 32g (14.7g sugars)
- Olive oil for frying
- 2 onions, finely sliced
- 2 garlic cloves, crushed
- 4 carrots, chopped into 1cm cubes
- 600ml passata
- Pinch caster sugar
- 200g frozen spinach
- 2 x 400g tins butterbeans, drained and rinsed
- ½ large bunch fresh flatleaf parsley, chopped
- Handful fresh basil, roughly chopped
- Crusty baguette slices
- Heat a glug of oil in a large flameproof casserole over a medium heat. Add the onions and fry for 2-3 minutes, then add the garlic and carrots. Fry for a further 5-10 minutes until the carrots start to soften.
- Add the passata along with 200ml water and a pinch of sugar. Bring to a simmer and bubble for 5 minutes, then add the spinach and beans. Simmer for a further 10 minutes until hot, then taste and season with salt and pepper.
- Stir through the parsley and basil, then serve in bowls with crusty baguette slices.
Rate & review
Or, how about...?
Recipes that will make you excited for autumn
Spicy butterbean, chickpea and butternut squash stew
Enjoy this vegetarian stew recipe, made with butternut squash, butterbeans...
Subscribe to our magazine
Food lovers, treat yourself this Christmas... Enjoy 12 months of magazines for £29.99 – just £2.50 an issue.Subscribe
Unleash your inner chef
Looking for inspiration? Receive the latest recipes with our newsletter