Roast trout with butterbeans, courgettes and seaweed
- October 2022
- Serves 2
- Hands-on time 15 min. Cooking time 30 min
Roast trout with butter beans, courgettes and seaweed makes a deliciously different supper for two. This easy dinner is a good source of omega-3s.
- 22.8g (2.6g saturated)
- 34.4g (7.4g sugars)
- 3 tbsp extra-virgin olive oil, plus extra to drizzle and serve
- 1 onion, finely chopped
- 1 courgette
- 2 garlic cloves, finely chopped
- 350g tinned butter beans or other white beans (drained weight)
- 250ml fish or vegetable stock
- Small handful dill, chopped
- 2 bay leaves
- ½ tsp chilli flakes
- 2 trout fillets, skinned
- 1 tbsp dried seaweed (from health food shops, online and some supermarkets), finely chopped or whizzed into a powder
- ½ lemon, juiced
- Heat the oven to 160°C fan/gas 4. Warm the oil in an ovenproof frying pan (with a lid) over a medium heat and fry the onion with a pinch of salt for 3 minutes, then cover and cook for 5 minutes, stirring occasionally, until almost softened.
- Meanwhile, slice the courgette into quarters lengthways, then finely slice crossways. Add it to the pan with the onion and stir to coat it in the oil. Cover and cook over a low heat for 5 minutes until softened.
- Add the garlic and cook uncovered for 1 minute, then add the beans and just enough of the stock to cover. Stir in the dill, bay leaves and chilli flakes, then put the trout on top and drizzle with a little oil. Roast for 12-15 minutes until the trout is cooked.
- Sprinkle with the seaweed, stirring it into the beans, then season to taste with lemon juice, salt and pepper.
Rate & review
Or, how about...?
April seasonal recipes
Asparagus farinata with trout, poached egg and hollandaise
Farinata – a thick, fluffy Italian pancake made with chickpea...
Pan-fried sea trout with watercress, pea shoots and mint sauce
Pink sea trout and vibrant spring greens make this quick...
Subscribe to our magazine
Food lovers, treat yourself this Christmas... Enjoy 12 months of magazines for £29.99 – just £2.50 an issue.Subscribe
Unleash your inner chef
Looking for inspiration? Receive the latest recipes with our newsletter