Caramel banana pancakes with salted peanuts
- September 2020
- Serves 4
- Hands on time 25 min
Is there a better dish to wake up to than a stack of fluffy pancakes? Try these buttermilk ones for Pancake Day or a weekend brunch – they come topped with caramel bananas, maple syrup and salted peanuts, for a symphony of sweet-salty-crunchy flavour.
Or perhaps you want to go the all-American pancake route with Rachel Allen’s pancakes with bacon and maple syrup?
- 31.1g (12.5g saturated)
- 63g (40g sugars)
- 3.6g fibre
- 1g salt
- 75g butter
- 100g self-raising flour
- 1/2 tsp baking powder
- 2 tbsp caster sugar
- 1 large free-range egg, beaten
- 1/2 tsp vanilla extract
- 125ml buttermilk
- Sunflower oil for cooking
- 1 tsp ground cinnamon
- 3 large bananas (or 8 mini/baby bananas)
- 6 tbsp maple syrup
- 4 tbsp salted peanuts, chopped
- Double cream to serve (optional)
You’ll also need
- Small saucepan; heavy-based frying pan; foil
- Melt 25g of the butter in a small saucepan. Sift the flour and baking powder into a bowl and stir in half the sugar. Make a well in the middle and add the egg, melted butter and vanilla. Gradually beat in the buttermilk until smooth.
- Heat the frying pan on the barbecue/fire. Pour in a drizzle of sunflower oil and, when hot, add 2 tbsp of the batter to form a 5cm pancake (it will expand a bit as it cooks). Repeat for as many pancakes as will fit in the pan. After 2-3 minutes, when bubbles appear on the surface, flip the pancakes and cook for 1-2 minutes until firm and golden. Repeat to make 8 large or 12 small pancakes, wrapping in foil and keeping them warm as you go.
- Combine the remaining sugar and the cinnamon in a shallow container. Peel the bananas and cut into large chunks (or halve the baby bananas lengthwise). Dip the bananas into the cinnamon sugar to coat.
- Add the remaining butter to the frying pan and, when hot, add the coated bananas. Cook for 2-3 minutes on each side until golden. Add the maple syrup and the peanuts, stir well, then remove from the heat. Serve the pancakes topped with the bananas and sauce, and drizzle over a little cream if you like.
Rate & review
Or, how about...?
Sweet pancake recipes
Pancakes with caramelised banana and homemade Nutella-style sauce
Nothing gets a morning cheer like a stack of fluffy American pancakes as a weekend...
More food for thought...
Subscribe to our magazine
Subscribe to delicious. magazine for HALF PRICESubscribe
Join our newsletter
Packed with menu ideas, recipes, latest competitions and more...