Carrot and ginger soup
- May 2017
- Serves 4-6
- Hands-on time 30 min, simmering time 45-50 min
A light, flavoursome carrot and ginger soup that’s ideal for batch cooking – double the recipe, eat half now, then freeze the rest for later and enjoy as an instant midweek meal.
- 5.1g (0.9g saturated)
- 25g (20.3g sugars)
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- 1 large onion, roughly chopped
- 3 garlic cloves, finely chopped
- 2 tbsp finely grated ginger
- 1.5kg carrots, roughly chopped
- 2 litres fresh vegetable stock
- Grated zest and juice ½ orange
- Natural yogurt and fresh coriander leaves to serve
- Heat the oil in a large saucepan over a medium-high heat and fry the onion for 10 minutes until soft. Add the garlic and 1½ tbsp of the ginger, then fry for another minute, stirring. Add the carrots, stock and orange zest. Bring to the boil, then turn the heat down to low and simmer for 45-50 minutes until the carrots are tender.
- Stir in the remaining ginger and the orange juice, then blend the soup until smooth using a stick blender (or whizz in a food processor or blender; see Make Ahead). Season with salt and pepper, then serve with a swirl of yogurt and a sprinkling of fresh coriander leaves.
If you’re not vegetarian you can use chicken stock instead of vegetable stock. If you’re using a stock cube, taste the soup before adding any salt, as cubes can be quite salty.
We piped the yogurt on top of our soup using a freezer bag with the corner snipped off, then pulled a cocktail stick through in alternate directions to create a feathered pattern. Alternatively, just give it a quick swirl with a spoon.
Keep the soup chilled for 2-3 days in a sealed container. Double the recipe and freeze half (without adding the yogurt and coriander in step 2) in a freezer bag or plastic container for up to 3 months. Defrost fully and reheat to piping hot before serving topped with the yogurt and herbs.
Rate & review
Or, how about...?
Carrot soup and Welsh rarebit with mustard and leeks
Perfect welsh rarebit accompanies creamy carrot soup in this comforting...
Subscribe to our magazine
Food lovers, treat yourself this Christmas... Enjoy 12 months of magazines for £29.99 – just £2.50 an issue.Subscribe
Unleash your inner chef
Looking for inspiration? Receive the latest recipes with our newsletter