Carrot and orange soup
- February 2009
- for 6 people
- Takes 15 minutes to make and 1 hour 5 minutes to cook
This carrot soup recipe is the ideal starter for a Sunday roast. It can easily be made the day before, and it uses just one fresh orange to get the citrus flavour.
- Vegetarian recipes
- 1 large onion
- 8 medium-large carrots
- Small piece of butter
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- 1 orange
- 1 litre vegetable stock or water
- Peel the onion, then cut in half. Put the 2 halves, cut side down, on a chopping board and cut each into thin strips. Peel the carrots and cut the ends off. Cut each carrot in half widthways, then lengthways. Put them on the chopping board with the flat sides down, and cut into small pieces.
- Put the butter and oil in a saucepan over a low heat, add the sliced onion and cook for 10 minutes. Check and stir the onion regularly. Using a cheese grater, grate the zest off the orange into a small bowl. Add the zest and the carrots to the pan with the onion. Put the lid on and cook for 10 more minutes, stirring occasionally.
- Add the stock or water and bring up to a simmer, then put the lid back on the pan and leave to simmer gently. After 45 minutes, test that the carrots are really soft by poking them with a knife or skewer. Turn off the heat. Carefully ladle the soup into a food processor – it will be very hot, so ask an adult to help with this. Whizz the soup until it is smooth. Cut the orange in half, squeeze the juice from one half and add to the soup.
- Return the soup to the pan, heat it gently and taste it (careful, it’s hot!) You might like to add a pinch of black pepper or a little chopped fresh coriander, until it tastes just right.
If you want to make a more chunky soup, use a potato masher to pulp the carrots instead of whizzing them in the food processor during step 3.
Rate & review
Or, how about...?
Carrot soup and Welsh rarebit with mustard and leeks
Perfect welsh rarebit accompanies creamy carrot soup in this comforting dish.
Subscribe to our magazine
Subscribe to delicious. magazine for HALF PRICESubscribe
Join our newsletter
Packed with menu ideas, recipes, latest competitions and more...