Mediterranean vegetable moussaka
- October 2007
- Serves 4
- Takes 50 minutes to make and 35 minutes in the oven
This veggie moussaka has most of the ingredients of the classic and hearty Greek dish, you’ll hardly miss the lamb!
- Vegetarian recipes
- 1 tbsp olive oil, plus extra for brushing
- 1 red onion, sliced
- 2 garlic cloves, crushed
- 2 courgettes,chopped
- 2 red peppers, deseeded and chopped
- 250ml red wine
- 1 tbsp tomato purée
- ½ tsp ground cinnamon
- 400g can chopped tomatoes
- 2 tsp dried oregano
- 600g (about 2 medium) aubergines
- For the topping
- 150ml Greek yogurt
- 1 medium egg, beaten
- 25g freshly grated Parmesan
- 50g feta
- Heat the oil in a large frying pan over a medium heat. Add the onion and garlic and cook, stirring, for 5 minutes, until soft. Increase the heat, add the courgettes and red peppers.
- Add the purée and cinnamon and cook, stirring, for 1 minute. Add the tomatoes and red wine. Add the oregano, season, and bring to the boil. Reduce the heat and simmer, stirring occasionally, for 20 minutes.
- Meanwhile, preheat the grill to medium-high. Cut each aubergine diagonally into 5mm-thick slices. Brush with oil, put half on a baking sheet and grill for 5 minutes, turning halfway, until pale golden. Drain on kitchen paper while grilling the remainder.
- Preheat the oven to 200C/fan180C/gas 6. For the topping, mix the yogurt, egg and half the cheeses. Season with pepper.
- Spread half the vegetable mixture in a deep, 1.2-litre ovenproof dish. Overlap with half the aubergine and the rest of the vegetables. Top with rest of the aubergine, spoon over yogurt mixture and scatter with the remaining cheeses. Bake for 35 minutes or until golden and bubbling.
Rate & review