Roasted vegetable soup with walnut and sage pesto
- February 2008
- Serves 6 people
- Takes 25 minutes to make and 45 minutes in the oven
This hearty roasted vegetable soup recipe is low in both calories and fat making it a healthy lunch option.
- Vegetarian recipes
- 8.9g (1.8g saturated)
- 16.5g (8.6g sugar)
- 750g butternut squash, parsnips and
- carrots, cut into 2cm chunks
- 1 medium onion, cut into thin wedges
- Extra-virgin olive oil spray
For the walnut and sage pesto
- 2 walnut halves
- 1 tbsp pine nuts
- 1 small garlic clove, crushed
- 12 large fresh sage leaves
- 15g fresh flatleaf parsley leaves
- 2 tbsp extra-virgin olive oil
- 1 tbsp fresh white breadcrumbs
- 2 tbsp finely grated vegetarian Parmesan
- Preheat the oven to 200°C/fan180°C/gas 6. Put the vegetables in a large, non-stick roasting tin with 20 squirts of oil (or 2 tablespoons). Sprinkle with pepper, toss well, and roast in the oven for 45 minutes.
- Meanwhile, make the pesto. Put the nuts, garlic, sage and parsley into a mini food processor and blend until finely chopped. Transfer to a bowl and stir in the oil, 3 tablespoons hot water, breadcrumbs and Parmesan. Set aside.
- Transfer the vegetables from the oven to a pan. Add 1.5 litres cold water and bring to a simmer. Cover and cook for 20 minutes.
- Leave the soup to cool slightly, then whizz in a food processor or with a hand-held blender. Return to the pan and reheat gently, if necessary. Season, ladle into warm bowls, swirl in a little pesto and serve.
Rate & review
Or, how about...?
Spiced vegetable soup with lentils and roasted chilli
This comforting and healthy soup recipe is packed with flavourful roasted chillies and topped with...
Minestrone with macaroni cheese
There are plenty of vegetables in this minestrone soup recipe which means you’re allowed a...