Cauliflower and lentil pilau with mango lassi
- July 2011
- For 4 people
- Takes 25 minutes to make, 40 minutes to cook
Cauliflower and lentil pilau with mango lassi is a simple and delicious way to get your five-a-day in a single meal.
- Vegetarian recipes
- 14.1g (3.9g saturated)
- 74.1g (35.9g sugars)
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- 4 onions, thinly sliced
- 2 tsp cumin seeds
- 1 small cauliflower, cut into small florets
- 1 sweet potato, cubed
- 2 tbsp hot curry paste
- 100g red lentils
- 750ml vegetable stock, hot
- 75g basmati rice
- 8 dried apricots, roughly chopped
- ½ savoy cabbage, finely shredded
- Grated zest and juice of 1 lemon
For the mango lassi
- 2 mangoes, peeled, stoned and chopped
- 150g natural yogurt
- 300ml milk
- Heat the oil in a non-stick pan and cook the onions over a gentle heat for 15 minutes until soft and golden. Add the cumin seeds and cook for a further 5 minutes. Scoop out half the onions and set aside.
- Stir the cauliflower, sweet potato, curry paste, lentils and stock into the cooked onions in the pan. Season, then simmer for 10 minutes.
- Add the rice, apricots and cabbage; cover and cook for 10 minutes more till tender.
- Meanwhile, make the lassi. Whizz the mango (reserving a few pieces to garnish), yogurt and milk in a blender with some ice cubes until smooth. Pour into 4 glasses and top with the reserved mango.
- Stir the lemon zest and juice into the pilau, scatter over the reserved onion and serve with the mango lassi.
Rate & review
Or, how about...?
Fluffy tomato rice
Kaushy Patel’s quick and easy rice recipe is made with cumin seeds, chopped tomatoes, turmeric...