- October 2004
- Serves 4
- Ready in 25 minutes
Pilau rice is the perfect accompaniment for an Indian main. Quick and easy to make, this side was made for soaking up rich curries.
Looking for another great side for an Indian feast? How about these soft, buttery naan breads?
- Dairy-free recipes
- Vegetarian recipes
- 3.9g (0.5g saturated)
- 68g (0.8g sugar)
- 1 tbsp groundnut oil
- 1 small onion, finely chopped
- 1 cinnamon stick, split lengthways
- ¾ tsp cumin seeds, dry-toasted in a pan and crushed
- 2 cardamom pods
- 6 cloves
- 2 tsp ground turmeric
- Few sprigs fresh thyme
- 2 bay leaves
- 300ml long grain rice (measured in a measuring jug – see recipe for Rice, absorption method)
- Heat the oil in a large pan with a tight-fitting lid. Add the onion and gently cook until softened. Stir in the spices and herbs and cook for 1 minute. Add the rice and stir until coated. Add 600ml boiling water and bring to the boil. Cover, then simmer on the lowest setting for 12-15 minutes, until tender. Let the steam dry off, then fluff up with a fork.
Rate & review
Or, how about...?
Fluffy tomato rice
Kaushy Patel’s quick and easy rice recipe is made with cumin seeds, chopped tomatoes, turmeric...
Jeera pulao rice
A traditional Punjabi rice dish packed with the aromatic flavours of cloves, cardamom and bay.