Cauliflower, swede and turnip curry
- February 2014
- Serves 4
- Hands-on time 25 min, simmering time 20 min
Warm up your winter vegetables with this vegan curry – it’s full of flavour from ginger, coconut and fenugreek and more.
- Vegan recipes
- Vegetarian recipes
- 9.7g (5.7g saturated)
- 6.2g (5.5g sugars)
- Vegetable oil for frying
- 1 tsp brown mustard seeds
- 25-30 fresh curry leaves
- 1 small onion, grated
- 2cm fresh ginger, grated
- 2-3 dried red chillies
- ½ tsp ground turmeric
- 1 tsp fennel seeds
- 1 tsp fenugreek seeds
- 200g chopped tinned tomatoes
- 4 tbsp desiccated coconut
- 250g mixed swede and turnip, diced
- 1 small cauliflower, broken into florets
- Handful of chopped fresh coriander
- Steamed rice, yogurt, naan or parathas to serve
- Heat a little oil in a frying pan, then add the mustard seeds and curry leaves. Cook for a minute until the mustard seeds just start to pop, being careful not to let them burn (see tip), then add the onion and ginger and fry for 3-4 minutes.
- Add the dried chillies, turmeric, fennel and fenugreek seeds, then fry for 1 minute. Add the tomatoes, coconut, swede, turnip and a good splash of water. Season, cover and simmer for 20 minutes, adding more water if necessary. Stir through the cauliflower, cover and simmer for 10 minutes. Scatter with the coriander and serve with rice, yogurt and warmed naan or parathas.
Keep an eye on the mustard seeds – if they start to burn the dish will taste bitter.
Rate & review
Or, how about...?
Subscribe to our magazine
Subscribe to delicious. magazine for HALF PRICESubscribe
Join our newsletter
Packed with menu ideas, recipes, latest competitions and more...