Cauliflower, swede and turnip curry
- February 2014
- Serves 4
- Hands-on time 25 min, simmering time 20 min
Warm up your winter root vegetables with this authentic tasting curry.
- Vegan recipes
- Vegetarian recipes
- 9.7g (5.7g saturated)
- 6.2g (5.5g sugars)
- Vegetable oil for frying
- 1 tsp brown mustard seeds
- 25-30 fresh curry leaves
- 1 small onion, grated
- 2cm fresh ginger, grated
- 2-3 dried red chillies
- ½ tsp ground turmeric
- 1 tsp fennel seeds
- 1 tsp fenugreek seeds
- 200g chopped tinned tomatoes
- 4 tbsp desiccated coconut
- 250g mixed swede and turnip, diced
- 1 small cauliflower, broken into florets
- Handful of chopped fresh coriander
- Steamed rice, yogurt, naan breads or parathas to serve
- Heat a little oil in a frying pan, then add the mustard seeds and curry leaves. Cook for a minute until the mustard seeds just start to pop, being careful not to let them burn (see tip), then add the onion and ginger and fry for 3-4 minutes.
- Add the dried chillies, turmeric, fennel and fenugreek seeds, then fry for 1 minute. Add the tomatoes, coconut, swede, turnip and a good splash of water. Season, cover and simmer for 20 minutes, adding more water if necessary. Stir through the cauliflower, cover and simmer for 10 minutes. Scatter with the coriander and serve with rice, yogurt and warmed naan breads or parathas.
Keep an eye on the mustard seeds – if they start to burn the dish will taste bitter.
Rate & review
Or, how about...?
Midweek meal recipes
Pappardelle with purple sprouting broccoli, Dolcelatte and walnuts
Pappardelle makes a fantastic pasta dish which can be varied using seasonal ingredients; we’ve added...
February seasonal recipes
Garlic and parsley roast chicken with crunchy purple sprouting broccoli
Easy-to-make and packed full of flavour – this chicken thigh tray-bake recipe is an effortless...