Celeriac, potato and beetroot gratin
- November 2013
- Serves 4-6
- Hands-on time 30 minutes, cooking time 1 hour 30 minutes
The earthy flavours of celeriac and beetroot take classic potato gratin to another level. Serve this crispy, creamy and cheesy dish with a light salad for a fantastic vegetarian dinner.
- Gluten-free recipes
- Vegetarian recipes
- 51.2g (26.4g saturated)
- 43.1g (16.9g sugars)
- Unsalted butter for greasing
- 1kg maris piper potatoes, finely sliced
- 300g beetroot, peeled and finely sliced
- 300g celeriac, peeled and finely sliced
- 400ml double cream
- 2 tbsp wholegrain mustard
- Pinch of freshly grated nutmeg
- 50g gruyère cheese, grated
For the salad
- 1 tbsp clear honey
- 1 tbsp Dijon mustard
- ½ tbsp sherry vinegar
- ½ tbsp white wine vinegar
- 3 tbsp extra-virgin olive oil
- Squeeze of lemon juice
- 300g mix of peppery, bitter salad leaves, such as frisée, mizuna, mustard leaves or rocket
- Preheat the oven to 180°C/fan 160°C/gas 4. Grease a 2 litre ovenproof dish with the butter, then cover the base with half the potato slices arranged in 2 layers. Top with half the sliced beetroot, all the sliced celeriac, then the remaining beetroot, seasoning lightly between each layer. Finish with two layers of the remaining potato slices.
- Mix the cream, mustard, nutmeg and gruyère together in a jug, then pour over the layered vegetables. Bake for 1 hour 30 minutes until the top is golden and the vegetables are tender when pierced with a knife.
- Meanwhile, in a large bowl, whisk together the honey, mustard and vinegars. Season well, then whisk in the oil. Whisk in the lemon juice to taste. Pour half the dressing out of the bowl into a jug. Just before serving, add the salad to the bowl and toss well, then add more dressing to taste. Serve the salad with the gratin.
To save time, slice the vegetables in a food processor. Store leftover salad dressing in a sterilised jam jar in the fridge for up to 4 weeks.
Rate & review
Or, how about...?
Fennel, taleggio, potato, parmesan and thyme gratin
You’re never going to stray far wrong with a bubbling, oozy potato and fennel gratin....
Smoked haddock, savoy cabbage and potato gratin
Smoked haddock and savoy cabbage are perfect additions to this creamy potato gratin – a...