Chai hot chocolate with spiced waffle dippers
- April 2022
- Serves 6
- Hands-on time 15 min. Oven time 15 min.
For a fun and easy dessert with a difference, serve cups of rich and aromatic chai hot chocolate with golden spiced waffles on the side. Ready, set, dunk…
How about serving this hot choc and waffle combo as an extra-special Easter breakfast? For more Easter recipe ideas, including plenty of chocolate, click here.
- Vegetarian recipes
- 31g (14.7g saturated)
- 52.6g (41g sugars)
- 6 large Belgian-style waffles, cut into long fingers or wedges
- 30g salted butter, melted
- 3 tbsp golden caster sugar
- 1 tsp ground cinnamon, ground cardamom or mixed spice
For the hot chocolate
- 300ml single cream
- 200ml whole milk
- 3 cardamom pods, bashed
- 2-3 whole cloves
- 1 vanilla pod, split lengthways
- 1 cinnamon stick
- 1 star anise (optional)
- 2 tsp cornflour
- 120g good quality dark chocolate, finely chopped
- 1-2 tbsp caster sugar
- Heat the oven to 200°C fan/gas 7. For the hot chocolate, put the cream, milk and whole spices in a pan and warm over a medium heat until just steaming. Remove from the heat and set aside to infuse for 10-15 minutes.
- Brush the waffles with the melted butter, then spread over a lined baking sheet. Bake for 10 minutes or until crisp. Mix the 3 tbsp sugar and ground spice in a large bowl. Once the waffles are crisp, remove from the oven and toss in the spiced sugar to coat.
- While the waffles bake, strain the infused cream mixture into a clean pan, discarding the whole spices. Mix the cornflour with a dash of the mixture, then whisk it back into the mixture along with the chocolate. Continue to whisk over a medium heat until the chocolate melts and the mixture is smooth and slightly thickened (about 4 minutes). Remove from the heat, then stir in the sugar to taste.
- Divide the hot chocolate among small cups or glasses and serve immediately, with the spiced waffles alongside for dipping.
Easy swaps: Mix and match the chai spices or swap them for a pinch of chilli instead.
Rate & review
Or, how about...?
Hot chocolate with churros
Churros are sweet doughy snacks that originate from Spain. These treats are fried then dipped...
Subscribe to our magazine
Subscribe to delicious. magazine for HALF PRICESubscribe
Join our newsletter
Packed with menu ideas, recipes, latest competitions and more...