Gingerbread hot chocolate
- October 2021
- Makes 4-6
- Hands-on time 10 min
Give cocoa a delicious twist with our easy gingerbread hot chocolate recipe. Make it boozy with Frangelico, or keep it family friendly… the choice is yours.
Take your hot choc game to the next level with our world-beating hot chocolate, laced with Jersey milk and single cream.
- Gluten-free recipes
- Vegetarian recipes
- 24.4g (15g saturated)
- 36.1g (35.3g sugars)
- 1 litre whole milk
- 2 cinnamon sticks, lightly bashed with a wooden spoon
- 3 whole star anise
- 250g good quality dark chocolate, finely chopped
- 2 tsp ground ginger
- 50ml Frangelico or amaretto liqueur (optional)
- 100ml whipping cream
- 1 tsp chopped crystallised ginger
- Marshmallows to serve (optional)
- Put the milk, cinnamon sticks and star anise in a saucepan. Warm over a low heat, stirring, until the milk just comes to a simmer and starts steaming.
- Remove the pan from the heat (remove and discard the whole spices) and gradually whisk in the chopped chocolate (reserving a little for sprinkling on top) and ground ginger until creamy. Stir in the liqueur of your choice, if using.
- Whip the cream until it just holds soft peaks (when you lift out the whisks the peaks created flop over at the top).
- Divide the hot chocolate among warmed mugs and top each with the whipped cream, chopped ginger and reserved chocolate. Serve hot with marshmallows, if you like.
Rate & review
Or, how about...?
Hot chocolate with churros
Churros are sweet doughy snacks that originate from Spain. These treats are fried then dipped...