Charred baby potatoes with chilli butter
- September 2020
- Serves 4
- Hands-on time 30 min
This charred baby potato dish hits all the spots: it’s got zing from the capers and lemon zest, a comforting hum from the chilli butter, and a satisfying crispiness to the texture.
For potatoes with little less spice, try these crispy potatoes with brown butter.
- 26.3g (13.9g saturated)
- 47.4g (2.6g sugars)
- 100g butter, softened
- 1 garlic clove, crushed
- 1 large red chilli, seeded and finely chopped
- 1 tbsp drained capers, chopped
- 1 tsp Worcestershire sauce (or Henderson’s Relish to make the recipe vegetarian)
- 2 tbsp mixed chopped fresh parsley, chives and tarragon
- 1 kg small to medium waxy potatoes, such as charlotte
- 2 tbsp olive oil
You’ll also need
- Large frying pan; compostable baking paper
- Mix the butter, garlic, chilli, lemon zest, capers and Worcestershire sauce in a bowl until smooth and evenly blended. Stir in the fresh herbs, then season. Roll in compostable baking paper and keep chilled until required.
- Put the potatoes in a large saucepan of lightly salted water and bring to the boil. Reduce the heat and simmer for 15 minutes or so until the potatoes are tender. Drain, refresh under cold water and leave to cool. Using the flat side of a large knife blade or the heel of your hand, lightly smash the potatoes to crush or slightly flatten them. Chill in a plastic container.
- When ready to cook, heat the oil in a large frying pan over a hot fire/ barbecue. Add the potatoes and cook, stirring occasionally, until brown and crisp (about 8-10 minutes). Remove the pan from the heat and mix in the prepared chilli butter until evenly coated.
Rate & review
Or, how about...?
Crispy new potatoes with browned butter
Browned butter takes this crispy new potato recipe to new heights.
Barbecued new potato, morcilla sausage and scallop kebabs
Morcilla is Spanish blood sausage made with pork, lots of onions and spices and usually...