Cheat’s chorizo and leek pasties
- April 2011
- Serves 4
- Hands on time 25 mins, plus 35 mins cooking time
Quick, easy, hassle free chorizo pasties. Perfect for lunches, picnics, or serve with a green salad for an easy mid-week meal.
- 35.2g (15.2g saturated)
- 51g (3.3g sugars)
- 250g potatoes, diced
- 150g cooking chorizo, chopped
- 1 large leek, sliced
- A few fresh thyme sprigs, leaves stripped
- 500g pack all-butter puff pastry
- Plain flour for dusting
- Preheat the oven to 200°C/fan180°C/gas 6. Put the potatoes in a pan of boiling salted water and cook for 2-3 minutes until almost cooked but still firm. Drain and transfer to a bowl.
- Meanwhile, heat a frying pan over a medium heat and cook the chorizo for 3-4 minutes until just cooked through. Discard all but 1 tbsp of the chorizo oil. Add the chorizo to the potatoes. Cook the leek and thyme in the hot pan for 10 minutes until softened. Add to the bowl, stir gently, then season well and leave to cool.
- Roll out the puff pastry on a lightly floured surface until it is the thickness of a pound coin, then cut into four 10cm circles (you can use a side plate as a template to cut around if you like). Discard the trimmings.
- Put a quarter of the chorizo and leek mixture onto the centre of each of the 4 circles, brush the edge of each with a little water. Fold in half to form a pasty shape, then crimp the edges to seal.
- Transfer to a baking sheet and bake for 15-20 minutes until puffed and golden. Serve immediately.
Freeze the cooled, uncooked, unglazed pasties for up to 3 months in a container or resealable bag. Defrost thoroughly before cooking. If you have any milk or beaten egg, brush a little over the pastry before the pasties go in the oven – this will help the pastry turn a golden colour.
Rate & review