Cheesy rolls with garlic and herb butter
- May 2015
- Makes 16
- Hands-on time 1 hour, oven time 20-25 min, plus rising
Our moreish cheesy bread rolls are calling out for a generous slathering of garlic and herb butter. Take them to a picnic, serve them with soup or – if you can’t wait – eat them hot-from-the-oven.
You’ll need the basic dough, from this white bread loaf, for this recipe.
- 10.5g (6.1g saturated)
- 21.9g (1.5g sugars)
- 1 quantity bread dough
- 80g mature cheddar, grated
- 80g gruyère cheese, grated
- Plain flour for dusting
- 1 medium free-range egg yolk, beaten
For the garlic and herb butter
- 100g butter, softened
- 2 garlic cloves, crushed
- Small handful fresh chives, snipped
- Small handful fresh parsley, finely chopped
- Make the bread dough as in this recipe to the end of step 4. Lightly knead in half the cheddar and gruyère. Heat the oven to 190°C/170°C fan/gas 5.
- Divide the dough into 16 even portions, shaping them into balls in the palm of your hand. Put on a lightly floured baking sheet, then brush with the beaten egg yolk. Cover with a piece of lightly oiled cling film and leave to prove in a warm place for 45 minutes or until doubled in size.
- Meanwhile, beat together the butter, garlic and fresh herbs until smooth. If the mixture is very soft, chill for 15 minutes or so.
- Sprinkle the remaining cheese over the buns. Bake on the top shelf of the oven for 20-25 minutes until golden, risen and cooked through (the buns will sound hollow when tapped on the base). Allow to cool until just warm, then serve with the herb butter.
You can vary the cheese you use to flavour the rolls, if you like. Hard cheeses generally work better than soft, which can make the dough too watery. Try stilton or manchego.
Make the garlic and herb butter up to 2 days in advance, wrap in cling film and keep in the fridge. Or freeze, well wrapped, for up to a month. The rolls are best eaten on the day they’re baked.
Rate & review
Or, how about...?
More food for thought...
Subscribe to our magazine
Subscribe to delicious. magazine for HALF PRICESubscribe
Join our newsletter
Packed with menu ideas, recipes, latest competitions and more...