Soda bread rolls
- May 2012
- Serves 6
- Takes 10 min to make, 20-25 min to cook
Surprisingly simple and quick to make, these scrumptious rolls would be ideal for a spring picnic.
- 1.8g (0.7g saturated)
- 37.8g (3.1g sugar)
- 300g stoneground wholemeal flour
- 300g plain white flour, plus extra
- 1 tsp fine salt
- 1 tsp bicarbonate of soda
- 2 tsp clear honey
- 200ml buttermilk
- 225ml milk, plus a little extra for brushing
- Butter for greasing
- Rolled oats to scatter
- Preheat the oven to 200°C/fan 180°C/gas 6. In a large bowl, thoroughly mix together the flours, salt and bicarbonate of soda.
- Make a well in the centre, add the honey, buttermilk and milk, then stir until incorporated. Use your hands to bring it all together to form a smooth, wet dough.
- With lightly floured hands, shape into 12 rolls and put on a greased baking sheet, so the rolls are almost touching. Brush each with a little milk, scatter with a few rolled oats, then bake for 20-25 minutes until risen and golden brown.
- Cool on a wire rack, then wrap in waxed paper or foil to take with you. Don’t forget to pack butter!
Rate & review
Or, how about...?
Subscribe to our magazine
Subscribe to delicious. magazine for HALF PRICESubscribe
Join our newsletter
Packed with menu ideas, recipes, latest competitions and more...