Chestnut and pork stuffing
- December 2010
- Serves 8
- Takes 20 minutes to make, 20 minutes to cook, plus chilling
This chestnut and pork stuffing recipe is laden with sausagmeat, pork mince, earthy chestnuts and crispy pancetta – a warming and festive combination that deserves a place on every Christmas table.
- 27.2g (9.8g saturated)
- 20.1g (2.4g sugars)
- 450g sausagemeat
- 300g pork mince
- 25g unsalted butter
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- 150g peeled cooked chestnuts, roughly chopped
- Good grating of fresh nutmeg
- 100g fresh white breadcrumbs
- Large handful of fresh flatleaf parsley, chopped
- Small handful of fresh sage leaves, chopped, plus 8 extra leaves
- 2 garlic cloves, crushed
- 1 large free-range egg, beaten
- 8 pancetta rashers
- Preheat the oven to 180°C/fan160°C/gas 4. Mix the sausagemeat and pork mince in a large bowl and set aside.
- Heat the butter and oil in a frying pan, add the chestnuts and fry for 2-3 minutes. Grate in the nutmeg. Cool a little, then add to the pork.
- Add the breadcrumbs, herbs, garlic and egg to the bowl and season. Mix with your hands until fully combined. Use a quarter of the stuffing to fill the neck cavity of the turkey, then press the remainder into a 1kg loaf tin lined with cling film or shape by hand into a rectangle (about 8cm x 16cm x 5cm deep).
- Chill for 10-15 minutes, then turn out and cut into 8 rectangles. Put a sage leaf on top of each, then wrap snugly in a piece of pancetta. When you’re ready to serve, place on a non-stick baking sheet and bake for 15 minutes until the parcels are cooked and the pancetta is golden.
Open-freeze the shaped, uncooked stuffing (without the sage) on a baking sheet until solid. Put in a container and freeze for up to 2 months. Defrost, then add the sage leaves and finish the recipe.
Rate & review
Or, how about...?
Baked pork, almond and marsala stuffing with bread sauce topping
The lovechild of stuffing and bread sauce. You can make this recipe as a side...
Christmas turkey recipes
Buttered turkey with porcini and sourdough stuffing
Looking for a Christmas turkey with juicy meat and crisp skin? This buttered Christmas turkey...