Chestnut and pork stuffing
- December 2010
- Serves 8
- Takes 20 minutes to make, 20 minutes to cook, plus chilling
This chestnut and pork stuffing recipe is laden with sausagmeat, pork mince, earthy chestnuts and crispy pancetta – a warming and festive combination that deserves a place on every Christmas table.
- 27.2g (9.8g saturated)
- 20.1g (2.4g sugars)
- 450g sausagemeat
- 300g pork mince
- 25g unsalted butter
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- 150g peeled cooked chestnuts, roughly chopped
- Good grating of fresh nutmeg
- 100g fresh white breadcrumbs
- Large handful of fresh flatleaf parsley, chopped
- Small handful of fresh sage leaves, chopped, plus 8 extra leaves
- 2 garlic cloves, crushed
- 1 large free-range egg, beaten
- 8 pancetta rashers
- Preheat the oven to 180°C/fan160°C/gas 4. Mix the sausagemeat and pork mince in a large bowl and set aside.
- Heat the butter and oil in a frying pan, add the chestnuts and fry for 2-3 minutes. Grate in the nutmeg. Cool a little, then add to the pork.
- Add the breadcrumbs, herbs, garlic and egg to the bowl and season. Mix with your hands until fully combined. Use a quarter of the stuffing to fill the neck cavity of the turkey, then press the remainder into a 1kg loaf tin lined with cling film or shape by hand into a rectangle (about 8cm x 16cm x 5cm deep).
- Chill for 10-15 minutes, then turn out and cut into 8 rectangles. Put a sage leaf on top of each, then wrap snugly in a piece of pancetta. When you’re ready to serve, place on a non-stick baking sheet and bake for 15 minutes until the parcels are cooked and the pancetta is golden.
Open-freeze the shaped, uncooked stuffing (without the sage) on a baking sheet until solid. Put in a container and freeze for up to 2 months. Defrost, then add the sage leaves and finish the recipe.
Rate & review
Or, how about...?
Baked pork, almond and marsala stuffing with bread sauce topping
The lovechild of stuffing and bread sauce. You can make this recipe as a side...
Christmas turkey recipes
Buttered turkey with porcini and sourdough stuffing
Looking for a Christmas turkey with juicy meat and crisp skin? This buttered Christmas turkey...
Subscribe to our magazine
Subscribe to delicious. magazine for HALF PRICESubscribe
Join our newsletter
Packed with menu ideas, recipes, latest competitions and more...