Chicken and beetroot meatball salad
- July 2011
- 1 large skinless free-range chicken breast, chopped into 1cm pieces
- 2 pickled baby beetroot, roughly grated
- ½ tsp toasted cumin seeds
- 30g fresh breadcrumbs
- 2 tbsp soured cream, plus extra to serve
- 150g Marks & Spencer cubed Greek Feta with Extra Virgin Olive Oil & Oregano, or similar
- 340g sweet potato, peeled and diced into 1cm cubes
- 1 tbsp olive oil, plus extra for drizzling
- Marks & Spencer Lemon & Pink Peppercorn Mill (we love this stuff, but it’s fine to use ordinary ground black pepper instead)
- Handful of mixed salad leaves
- Preheat the oven to 220°C/fan200°C/gas 7. In a large bowl, mix the chicken with the beetroot, cumin, breadcrumbs, 2 tbsp soured cream, 40g of the feta (crumbled), and some seasoning. Shape into balls (wear rubber gloves to avoid staining your fingers), then chill for 5 minutes. Scatter the sweet potato over a shallow roasting tray, then drizzle with 1 tbsp olive oil and add a good grinding of lemon and pink pepper, plus some sea salt. Roast for 5 minutes.
- Add the chicken balls to the roasting tray, drizzle with a little more oil, then return the tray to the oven and cook for 20 minutes or until the chicken is cooked through and the sweet potato is tender. Gently mix the salad leaves with the roasted sweet potato and chicken balls, adding most of the remaining feta and a little oregano oil from the packet. Divide between plates and serve with soured cream on the side.
A handful of roasted hazelnuts would add a pleasing nutty crunch to this salad.
Rate & review
Or, how about...?
Chicken, caraway and beetroot risotto
Risotto is a guaranteed midweek favourite. This one combines earth beetroot with chicken for a...