Chicken and coconut rice pilaf
- May 2021
- Serves 4
- Hands-on time 10 min
Our baked chicken and coconut rice pilaf is an easy twist on a classic one-pot. Just five minutes of prep are required, then pop it in the oven.
- Dairy-free recipes
- 25.9g (16.4g saturated)
- 63.5g (4.2g sugars)
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- 4 free-range skinless chicken legs, or a mix of thighs and drumsticks
- 2 green cardamom pods, lightly crushed
- 1 cinnamon stick
- Bunch spring onions, chopped
- 5cm piece fresh ginger, finely chopped
- 400ml tin coconut milk
- 240g basmati rice, well rinsed in cold water
- 400g can black eyed beans, drained
- Finely grated zest and juice 2 limes
- Small handful fresh mint, sliced
- Heat the oven to 180ºC fan/gas 6. Heat the oil in a large, flameproof casserole over a medium heat. Brown the chicken all over, then add the cardamom, cinnamon and most of the spring onions and ginger, then cook for 2 minutes more. Reserve 6 tbsp (about 90ml) of the coconut milk, then add the rest to the pan, along with the rice, beans, lime zest and 150ml cold water. Season with salt and black pepper.
- Bring to a simmer, add a tight-fitting lid and bake for 30 minutes until the rice is tender and the chicken juices run clear when pierced at the thickest point.
- Meanwhile, whizz the reserved coconut milk, remaining ginger, lime juice, most of the mint and a pinch of salt in a small food processor to make a dressing. Season with salt and pepper.
- Serve the chicken and rice drizzled with the dressing, scattered with the remaining spring onions and mint.
Easy swaps: If you prefer, swap chicken legs for skinless and boneless chicken thighs.
Rate & review