Chicken and pepper pie with tortilla crisps
- March 2019
- Serves 6
- Hands-on time 20 min, simmering time 35 min, oven time 6-8 min
This all-in-one chicken and pepper pie is topped with crispy toasted tortillas for extra crunch. Use them to dunk in the spicy filling beneath – it will soon become a family favourite.
Or, use up leftover chicken in our spicy filo-topped pie instead.
- Dairy-free recipes
- 15.3g (3.6g saturated)
- 55g (12g sugars)
- Splash of veg oil
- 1kg sliced skinless, boneless free-range chicken thighs
- 1 large sliced red onion
- 2 finely sliced orange peppers
- 35g Mexican spice blend (we used Old El Paso Smoky BBQ Fajita Seasoning Mix),
- 2 x 400g tins of tomatoes
- 400g tin of black beans
- 300ml hot chicken stock
- 8 tortilla wraps
- Handful of chopped fresh coriander
- Heat a splash of veg oil in a casserole. Brown the chicken thighs in batches. Add the sliced red onion and peppers and fry for 5 minutes. Stir in the spice blend, then return the chicken to the pan with the tomatoes, a black beans, drained and rinsed, and hot chicken stock. Bring to the boil, cover and simmer for 35 minutes to thicken.
- Meanwhile, heat the oven to 180°C/160°C fan/gas 4, cut the tortilla wraps into wedges and bake for 6-8 minutes until golden. Serve some on top of the pie with a handful of chopped fresh coriander and the rest alongside.
Cool the chicken filling, then freeze in an airtight container for up to 3 months. Defrost in the fridge overnight, then reheat until piping hot.
Rate & review
More food for thought...
Subscribe to our magazine
Subscribe to delicious. magazine for HALF PRICESubscribe
Join our newsletter
Packed with menu ideas, recipes, latest competitions and more...