Chicken sausage casserole
- March 2023
- Serves 4-6
- Hands-on time 20 min, simmering time 40 min
This deeply satisfying one-pot combines light chicken sausages, beloved chorizo and creamy beans and chickpeas in a rich tomato sauce.
For more sausage casseroles check out our collection of recipes here.
- 17.4g (5.6g saturated)
- 17.4g fat (5.6g saturated)
- 1 tbsp extra-virgin olive oil
- 225g chorizo ring, sliced into thick coins
- 340g chicken sausages
- 1 onion, finely chopped
- 2 garlic cloves, finely sliced
- ½ tsp smoked paprika
- 150ml red wine
- 2 x 400g tin chopped tomatoes
- 400g tin butter beans, drained
- 400g tin chickpeas, drained
- 1 chicken stock cube
- Bunch parsley, finely chopped
- Add the oil, chorizo and chicken sausages to a large saucepan. Put over a low-medium heat and gradually bring up to a sizzle to allow the oil from the chorizo to render out. Cook for 3-5 minutes until the chorizo begins to crisp up and the sausages colour, then lift them out with a slotted spoon onto a plate.
- Add the onions to the bright red oil and cook for 6 minutes until softened. Add the garlic, cook for a few minutes, then return the chorizo and sausages to the pan. Turn the heat to high, add the paprika, sizzle for a few minutes, then pour in the red wine. Leave to bubble for 3 minutes, then add the chopped tomatoes, beans and chickpeas. Fill one of the tins with water and add that too, along with the stock cube.
- Bring to a simmer and cook for 50 minutes, stirring occasionally, until the sauce thickens and turns jammy. Stir through the parsley and divide among bowls.
Once cooked, this dish will keep in the fridge for up to three days (and tastes even better when reheated!).
Rate & review
Or, how about...?
Subscribe to our magazine
Food lovers, treat yourself this Christmas... Enjoy 12 months of magazines for £29.99 – just £2.50 an issue.Subscribe
Unleash your inner chef
Looking for inspiration? Receive the latest recipes with our newsletter