Chicken tagine casserole
- March 2022
- Serves 4
- Hands-on time 15 min, plus oven time 45 min
Enjoy all the rich flavours of a chicken tagine with the convenience of a traybake-style casserole. This baked tagine is packed with apricots, olives and chickpeas.
Our cheat’s chicken tagine for two is on the table in just 15 mins.
- 24.4g (4.9g saturated)
- 30.9g (10.8g sugars)
- 8 small free-range chicken thighs
- 2 medium red onions, cut into wedges
- 1 tsp ground cumin
- 1 tsp ground coriander
- 1 tsp ground turmeric
- 1/2 tsp ground cinnamon
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- 2 x 400g tins chickpeas, drained
- 2 tbsp rose harissa
- 100g pitted green olives
- 50g dried apricots, chopped
- 1 preserved lemon, pith removed, thinly sliced
- Bunch flatleaf parsley, roughly chopped
- Natural yogurt and flatbreads to serve
- Heat the oven to 180ºC fan/gas 6. Slash the skin of the chicken with a sharp knife and put in a baking dish or shallow casserole with the onion wedges. Mix the spices with the olive oil and season well with salt, then toss this with the chicken and onions. Roast, uncovered, for 20 minutes.
- Add the chickpeas to the roasting tin with the harissa, olives, apricots and preserved lemon, then cook for a further 25 minutes. Scatter with parsley and serve with yogurt and flatbreads.
Mix the chicken pieces with the onions, ground spices and olive oil, then cover and leave in the fridge to marinate for up to 12 hours before cooking
Rate & review
Or, how about...?
Chicken and preserved lemon tagine
This is one of the best known and loved tagines. Accompany with houmous, flatbread and...
Subscribe to our magazine
Subscribe to delicious. magazine for HALF PRICESubscribe
Join our newsletter
Packed with menu ideas, recipes, latest competitions and more...