Roast chicken thighs with pomegranate molasses
- October 2019
- Serves 4-6
- Hands-on time 25 min, oven time 40-45 min, plus 2 hours marinating
A key ingredient in Persian cuisine, we’ve used pomegranate molasses as a marinade to give the meat a fruity, sticky finish without full-on sweetness.
Not sure what to do with leftover pomegranate molasses? We suggest using it in this knockout aubergine and shallot salad recipe.
- Dairy-free recipes
- Gluten-free recipes
- 12.3g (2.4g saturated)
- 10.1g (6.5g sugars)
- 8 British free-range skin-on, bone-in chicken thighs
- 4 fat garlic cloves, crushed
- 3 tbsp pomegranate molasses, plus extra to drizzle (optional)
- 1 lemon, sliced
- 2 small red onions, sliced
- 2 tsp Mediterranean seasoning (we used Bart)
- 4 tbsp extra-virgin olive oil
- Large handful each fresh flatleaf parsley, mint and coriander, chopped
- 80g pack pomegranate seeds
- Put the chicken, garlic, pomegranate molasses, lemon, onions, Mediterranean seasoning and oil in a mixing bowl with 1½ tsp fine salt and some freshly ground black pepper. Set aside, covered, to marinate for 2 hours (or longer, in the fridge, if you have the time – see Make Ahead).
- Heat the oven to 200°C/180°C fan/gas 6. Transfer the chicken and its marinade to a shallow roasting tin, then roast for 40-45 minutes, until the chicken has turned sticky and caramelised.
- Combine the herbs and pomegranate seeds in a bowl. Drizzle the chicken with a little more pomegranate molasses (optional), then scatter with the herbs and pomegranate seeds.
Marinating the chicken for least 2 hours will help keep it moist and tender, as well as maximising flavour.
Rate & review
Or, how about...?
Grilled chicory with pomegranate molasses
Grilled chicory is an easy side dish that goes wonderfully well with roasted meats, such...
Aubergine salad with shallots and pomegranate molasses
A smoky barbecue side dish recipe by chef Ben Tish, with peppery watercress, sweet shallots...
More food for thought...
Subscribe to our magazine
Subscribe to delicious. magazine for HALF PRICESubscribe
Join our newsletter
Packed with menu ideas, recipes, latest competitions and more...