Chicken thighs with chilli tahini noodles
- December 2019
- Hands on time 15 min, simmering time 35 min
This chicken dish is really easy to double, if you want to make a batch to store in your fridge. You can also do a version where you top it with halloumi for a golden cheesy twist.
- 31.1g fat (5.3g saturated)
- 41.5g (6.3g sugars)
- 10.3g fibre
- 1 tbsp light olive oil
- 8 free-range skin-on, bone-in chicken thighs
- 250g banana shallots, sliced
- 2 fat garlic cloves, crushed
- 150g tahini (we used Belazu)
- Juice 1-2 lemons
- 2-3 tbsp ketjap manis (see Know-how)
- Pinch or two chilli flakes to taste
- 300ml chicken stock
- 200g greens, trimmed and thinly sliced
- 200g dried udon or egg noodles
- Heat the oil in a wide, heavy-based frying pan (with a lid) over a medium-high heat. Fry the chicken for 5 minutes on each side until golden, then set aside on a plate. Add the shallots to the pan and cook for 5 minutes or until golden. Add the garlic for the final minute and cook, stirring.
- Mix the tahini in a bowl with 2 tbsp lemon juice, 1 tbsp ketjap manis, the chilli and 200ml cold water.
- Return the chicken to the pan, add the chicken stock, bring to the boil, then simmer for 35 minutes. Add the greens for the last 2 minutes, covering with the lid to steam. Stir in the tahini mixture, then simmer gently for 2-3 minutes until the chicken is cooked through (don’t boil the sauce or it may split). The chicken is cooked when the juices run clear when the thighs are pierced with a skewer in the thickest part.
- Meanwhile, cook the noodles according to the pack instructions, then stir them into the sauce with black pepper and lemon juice to taste. Drizzle with the rest of the ketjap manis to serve.
Next time: omit the greens and noodles and make the dish to the end of step 3. Put the chicken in a baking dish, top with 250g cubed halloumi, 60g pine nuts and 2 torn pitta breads. Drizzle with olive oil, then grill until the cheese is golden.
Ketjap manis is a thick, sweet soy sauce. Buy it from Waitrose, Morrisons and Sainsbury’s or mix 2 tsp soy sauce with 1 tsp runny honey.
Rate & review