Chilli beef with chickpeas
- November 2008
- Serves 6
- Takes 20 minutes to make and 1½-1¾ hours to cook
This chilli beef and chickpeas recipe can be made by first making a batch of our Classic beef casserole then adapting it according to these instructions.
- 21g (7.1g saturated)
- 23.6g (4.8g sugar)
- 1 tbsp vegetable oil
- 40g unsalted butter
- 1kg braising steak, cut into 4cm cubes
- 2 onions, finely chopped
- 3 garlic cloves, finely chopped
- 3 long red chillies, finely chopped
- 1 tbsp ground coriander
- 2 tsp ground ginger
- 250ml water
- 500ml beef stock, hot
- 400g can chopped tomatoes
- 2 x 400g cans chickpeas, drained and rinsed
- A handful of coriander leaves
- First, follow step 1 of the master recipe (see Classic beef casserole recipe), browning the braising steak in batches.
- Next, add the remaining vegetable oil and butter and cook the onions, garlic, chillies, ground coriander and ground ginger (omit the celery, carrots and flour). Stir over a medium-low heat for 1 minute, until fragrant.
- Add 250ml water (instead of the wine) with the beef stock and canned tomatoes (omit the tomato purée). Simmer, uncovered, for 1 hour.
- Add the chickpeas and cook for 30-45 minutes, until the beef is tender. Stir in a handful of coriander leaves (in place of the oregano), season and serve with couscous with lemon zest and extra coriander stirred in.
Rate & review