Beef short rib bourguignon
- December 2023
- Serves 4-6
- Hands-on time 25 min. Oven time 3½-4 hours
Beef bourguignon is a comforting red wine stew from Burgundy in France and is one of the country’s most iconic dishes. We’ve created a great sauce for the dish by braising short ribs in wine for hours before adding the traditional bourguignon vegetables and shredding the meat back in for a final braise. You couldn’t ask for anything more on a cold winter night.
How about pommes aligot (AKA cheesy mash) on the side?
- 43g (19g saturated)
- 9.7g (6.9g sugars)
- 250g bacon lardons, thick cut if possible
- 1.5kg beef short ribs
- 3 tbsp tomato purée
- 750ml red wine, ideally pinot noir
- 500ml beef stock
- 40g unsalted butter
- 200g shallots, peeled and left whole
- 200g chantenay carrots, tops trimmed
- 4 garlic cloves, finely sliced
- 150g button mushrooms, halved
- 2 bay leaves
- 1 bouquet garni
- ½ bunch parsley, leaves chopped
- Mashed potato, crusty bread or polenta to serve
- Heat the oven to 160°C fan/gas 4. Set a large casserole (one with a lid) over a medium heat and add the lardons. Cook slowly until the fat renders out and the lardons start to crisp up. Remove with a slotted spoon, leaving the fat in the pan.
- Turn the heat up to high, season the short ribs with plenty of salt and pepper, then add to the pan and sear on all sides until deeply browned all over. Return the lardons to the pan, then stir in the tomato purée. Cook for a minute, then add the wine and stock. Cover with a lid, then cook in the oven for 1½ hours.
- Meanwhile, melt the butter in a frying pan over a medium heat, then add the shallots and carrots. Cook until golden all over, then add the garlic and fry for another minute or two. Set aside.
- After 1½ hours, take the casserole out of the oven and carefully lift out the short ribs. Slide out the bones, cut off and discard any tough connective tissue, then very roughly chop the meat. Use a large spoon or ladle to skim off as much fat as possible from the liquid, then return the beef to the sauce, along with the seared vegetables, mushrooms, bay leaves and bouquet garni. Cover and return to the oven for 1½-2 hours until the meat is falling apart completely and the vegetables are cooked through. Season to taste, then serve sprinkled with parsley and your side of choice.
This dish freezes really well and leftovers make a delicious pie filling.
Rate & review
Or, how about...?
Tenderstem broccoli with lemon vinaigrette
Serve this easy snack recipe alongside other nibbles as a...
Subscribe to our magazine
Food stories, skills and tested recipes, straight to your door... Enjoy 5 issues for just £5 with our special introductory offer.Subscribe
Unleash your inner chef
Looking for inspiration? Receive the latest recipes with our newsletter