Chilli-marinated chicken kebabs with sweet shallot and chickpea salad
- April 2016
- Serves 4-6
- Hands-on 30 min, grill 10-15 min, plus marinating
Chunks of grilled chicken coated in a smoky aleppo chilli marinade sit atop a chickpea, spinach and herb salad.
- 18.9g (3.7g saturated)
- 34.5g (14.9g sugars)
For the kebabs
- 500ml natural yogurt
- 2 tbsp aleppo chilli flakes, plus more to serve
- Juice 2 lemons, plus wedges to serve
- 3 garlic cloves, crushed
- 12 skinless and boneless British free-range chicken thighs, halved
For the salad
- Extra-virgin olive oil for frying and drizzling
- 6 large banana shallots, quartered lengthways
- 4 tbsp clear honey
- 3 handfuls mixed seeds
- 4-5 fresh thyme sprigs
- 260g bag spinach
- 3 x 400g tins chickpeas, drained and rinsed
- Large bunch fresh flatleaf parsley, chopped, plus extra to serve
- Combine the yogurt, chilli flakes, lemon juice, garlic and a generous amount of salt in a large mixing bowl. Remove quarter of it to a small bowl, then cover and chill to use later as a dressing for the salad. Add the chicken to the bowl with the rest of the yogurt mixture and toss to coat. Cover and chill for at least 1 hour .
- Heat a glug of the oil in a large frying pan, then add the shallots and cook over a medium heat, turning often, for 20-25 minutes, adding 2 tbsp of the honey after 15 minutes. Once the shallots are sticky and golden, transfer to a large bowl.
- Add a little more oil to the pan, then scatter in the seeds and thyme sprigs with some salt. Cook over a medium heat, stirring, for 3-4 minutes. Stir in the remaining honey and keep stirring until the seeds turn light golden. Tip them into a small bowl, then return the pan to the heat.
- Wilt the spinach in the pan, moving the leaves around so they don’t burn. Once wilted, tip into a sieve, cool, then squeeze out as much moisture as you can. Add to the shallots.
- Put the chickpeas in a large saucepan and cover with boiling water from the kettle. Simmer for 5 minutes, then drain, toss with olive oil and tip into the shallot bowl.
- When ready to eat, heat the grill to as high as it will go. Remove the thighs from the marinade, shake off the excess (discard) and thread the chicken onto 4-6 metal (or soaked bamboo) skewers. Put the kebabs on a grill rack lined with foil, then cook for 5-8 minutes on each side until the chicken is blackened in places and completely cooked through.
- Stir most of the honey-coated seeds through the chickpea mixture, with most of the parsley and the reserved yogurt dressing. Taste and season. Transfer the salad to a serving platter, scatter over the remaining seeds and add a drizzle of oil. Serve the skewers on top, scattered with extra chilli flakes and parsley, with lemon wedges.
Marinate the chicken up to 6 hours in advance (step 1). You can cook the chickpeas and shallots up to 6 hours in advance too; follow the recipe to the end of step 5. Cool, cover and chill; bring to room temperature to serve.
Rate & review
Or, how about...?
Spiced almond and sultana marinated chicken
Spiced almond and sultana marinated chicken is a rather fab...
Honey & Co’s chicken, plum and sweet spice traybake
Chicken thighs are marinated in warming spices, demerara sugar and...
Subscribe to our magazine
Food lovers, treat yourself this Christmas... Enjoy 12 months of magazines for £29.99 – just £2.50 an issue.Subscribe
Unleash your inner chef
Looking for inspiration? Receive the latest recipes with our newsletter