Chilli-marinated chicken kebabs with sweet shallot and chickpea salad
- April 2016
- Serves 4-6
- Hands-on 30 min, grill 10-15 min, plus marinating
Chunks of grilled chicken coated in a smoky aleppo chilli marinade sit atop a chickpea, spinach and herb salad.
- Gluten-free recipes
- 18.9g (3.7g saturated)
- 34.5g (14.9g sugars)
For the kebabs
- 500ml natural yogurt
- 2 tbsp aleppo chilli flakes, plus more to serve
- Juice 2 lemons, plus wedges to serve
- 3 garlic cloves, crushed
- 12 skinless and boneless British free-range chicken thighs, halved
For the salad
- Extra-virgin olive oil for frying and drizzling
- 6 large banana shallots, quartered lengthways
- 4 tbsp clear honey
- 3 handfuls mixed seeds
- 4-5 fresh thyme sprigs
- 260g bag spinach
- 3 x 400g tins chickpeas, drained and rinsed
- Large bunch fresh flatleaf parsley, chopped, plus extra to serve
- Combine the yogurt, chilli flakes, lemon juice, garlic and a generous amount of salt in a large mixing bowl. Remove quarter of it to a small bowl, then cover and chill to use later as a dressing for the salad. Add the chicken to the bowl with the rest of the yogurt mixture and toss to coat. Cover and chill for at least 1 hour .
- Heat a glug of the oil in a large frying pan, then add the shallots and cook over a medium heat, turning often, for 20-25 minutes, adding 2 tbsp of the honey after 15 minutes. Once the shallots are sticky and golden, transfer to a large bowl.
- Add a little more oil to the pan, then scatter in the seeds and thyme sprigs with some salt. Cook over a medium heat, stirring, for 3-4 minutes. Stir in the remaining honey and keep stirring until the seeds turn light golden. Tip them into a small bowl, then return the pan to the heat.
- Wilt the spinach in the pan, moving the leaves around so they don’t burn. Once wilted, tip into a sieve, cool, then squeeze out as much moisture as you can. Add to the shallots.
- Put the chickpeas in a large saucepan and cover with boiling water from the kettle. Simmer for 5 minutes, then drain, toss with olive oil and tip into the shallot bowl.
- When ready to eat, heat the grill to as high as it will go. Remove the thighs from the marinade, shake off the excess (discard) and thread the chicken onto 4-6 metal (or soaked bamboo) skewers. Put the kebabs on a grill rack lined with foil, then cook for 5-8 minutes on each side until the chicken is blackened in places and completely cooked through.
- Stir most of the honey-coated seeds through the chickpea mixture, with most of the parsley and the reserved yogurt dressing. Taste and season. Transfer the salad to a serving platter, scatter over the remaining seeds and add a drizzle of oil. Serve the skewers on top, scattered with extra chilli flakes and parsley, with lemon wedges.
Marinate the chicken up to 6 hours in advance (step 1). You can cook the chickpeas and shallots up to 6 hours in advance too; follow the recipe to the end of step 5. Cool, cover and chill; bring to room temperature to serve.
Rate & review
Or, how about...?
Peri-peri spiced chicken with cauliflower rice and charred corn cobs
This flavour-packed peri-peri spiced chicken recipe is a perfect 5:2 diet main. Serve with cauliflower...