- August 2020
- Makes 8
- Hands-on time 40 min, plus 1 hour resting
Best naan you’re ever likely to have? Most probably. Chetna Makan’s chilli naan is impeccable – and super easy to make. Just follow along to her simple steps below.
- 2.8g (1.2g saturated)
- 24.9g (1.5g sugars)
- 250g strong white bread flour, plus extra for dusting
- 7g sachet dried fast-action yeast
- ½ tsp salt
- ½ tsp sugar
- ½ tsp chilli powder
- 100g natural yogurt
- 1 tsp sunflower oil, plus extra for greasing
- Melted ghee for brushing
For the spice mix
- 4 small green chillies, finely chopped
- 40g fresh coriander leaves, finely chopped
- ½ tsp ground cumin
- ½ tsp chaat masala (see Know- how)
- ½ tsp chilli flakes
- Put the flour in a large mixing bowl. Add the yeast on one side of the bowl and the salt, sugar and chilli powder on the other. Add the yogurt and oil in the centre and mix.
- Slowly add 70-80ml water (or more if needed) – enough to bring the mixture into a soft dough. Knead on a clean work surface for 5 minutes, then put the dough in a lightly oiled bowl, cover and let it rest for 1 hour.
- Combine the spice mix ingredients in a small bowl. Divide the dough into 8 portions. Taking one portion at a time, roll on a lightly floured surface into an oval about 17-18cm long. Brush a tiny bit of water on the naan and sprinkle with spice mix, pressing it into the dough with your fingers so it adheres properly.
- Heat a frying pan, then cook the first naan on a low-medium heat for 2-3 minutes. Turn it over and cook the other side for 1 minute or until golden. Remove from the pan and brush ghee on top. Repeat. Serve the naan warm.
This recipe is from Chetna’s Healthy Indian: Vegetarian by Chetna Makan
(Mitchell Beazley £20). You can order the hardback here.
Freeze the ovals of dough in a sealed container, defrost overnight in the fridge, then cook as in the recipe.
Chaat/chat masala is a mild spice blend. Buy it at larger supermarkets, theasiancookshop.co.uk or Ocado.
Rate & review
Or, how about...?
Subscribe to our magazine
Food lovers, treat yourself this Christmas... Enjoy 12 months of magazines for £29.99 – just £2.50 an issue.Subscribe
Unleash your inner chef
Looking for inspiration? Receive the latest recipes with our newsletter