- January 2022
- Serves 6
- Hands-on time 15 min
Classic fondue is the original sharing dish. Our gooey fondue is quick and easy to make, the only hard bit is choosing what to accompany it. Happy dipping!
- 25.5g (16.8g saturated)
- 2.7g (0.3g sugars)
- 1 fat garlic clove, halved
- 200g comté or emmental cheese, grated or cubed
- 200g gruyère cheese, grated or cubed
- 150g reblochon cheese (weight with rind removed), cubed
- 4 tsp cornflour
- Freshly grated nutmeg to taste
- 280ml dry white wine, such as riesling – or try beer
- Good splash kirsch
- Sliced salami or saucisson sec
- Cornichons and silverskin onions
- Baguette, cut into large cubes
- Steamed new potatoes
- Red and white chicory leaves
Useful (but not essential)
- Fondue set
- Rub the cut sides of the garlic over the inside of a fondue pan (or a heavy based pan), then finely chop and put in the pan.
- Add the cheeses to the pan with the cornflour and a good grating of nutmeg and black pepper. Gently stir everything together to coat.
- Pour in the wine (or beer), then set the pan over a low-medium heat. Stir regularly, taking care not to overheat. Once the cheeses have melted, turn up
the heat slightly and let the mixture just simmer gently. Cook for a few minutes until it’s thick and scoopable.
- Turn the heat down to low, stir in the kirsch and check the seasoning. Put the pan in the centre of the table on its lit fondue stand or a heatproof trivet (gently reheat the fondue if it thickens too much as it cools), with the accompaniments in easy reach of everyone.
Easy swaps: If you can’t find any reblochon, swap it for raclette or use more comté or emmental
Rate & review
Or, how about...?
Recipes to celebrate spring
Sharing pan fondue with garlic toasts, roasted radishes and asparagus
Take this pan of hot, melted cheese to the table...
Subscribe to our magazine
Food lovers, treat yourself this Christmas... Enjoy 12 months of magazines for £29.99 – just £2.50 an issue.Subscribe
Unleash your inner chef
Looking for inspiration? Receive the latest recipes with our newsletter