Congee with egg and greens
- April 2005
- 4 spring onions
- 75g watercress, mustard leaf, rocket or mizuna (or your favourite leaves)
- 2 tbsp vegetable oil
- 2.5cm piece root ginger, finely grated
- 2 garlic cloves, finely chopped
- 200g risotto rice
- 100ml rice wine or sherry
- 2 tbsp soy sauce
- 1 tsp rice wine vinegar (any wine vinegar or balsamic vinegar will do)
- 1 litre fresh vegetable stock, hot
- 2 free-range eggs
- Pinch of dried chilli flakes (optional)
- Finely slice the spring onions, keeping the white and green parts apart. Combine the green bits with the salad leaves in a bowl and set aside.
- Heat the oil gently in a saucepan. When hot, add the onion whites, ginger and garlic and stir-fry for 2-3 minutes. Add the rice, stir, then add the wine or sherry and bubble for a minute or so. Add the soy, vinegar and stock and simmer, stirring occasionally, for at least 30 minutes. The rice should be almost falling apart to make a thick soup-like dish. Keep it thick or add more stock, seasoning as you go (balance salty soy with the vinegar’s sharpness).
- Poach the eggs, then place 1 in each soup with a pinch of dried chilli. (Roast duck or pork slices would be good, too.)
Before serving, stir in the leaves so that they are just wilted when eaten.
Rate & review
Or, how about...?
Subscribe to our magazine
Subscribe to delicious. magazine for HALF PRICESubscribe
Join our newsletter
Packed with menu ideas, recipes, latest competitions and more...