Quick chicken noodle soup
- March 2016
- Serves 4
- Hands-on time 30 min
There’s no midweek meal more comforting than a bowl of chicken noodle soup made with fresh vegetables, shredded chicken breast and egg noodles.
- 9.2g (4g saturated)
- 38.3g (11.1g sugars)
- 20g butter
- 2 leeks, finely sliced
- 4 carrots, thinly sliced
- 2 celery sticks, finely chopped
- 2 garlic cloves, crushed
- 10g grated fresh ginger
- 1.2 litres fresh chicken stock
- 150g medium egg noodles
- 2 cooked skinless free-range chicken breasts, shredded
- Juice 1 lemon
- Fresh flatleaf parsley leaves to garnish (optional)
- In a large, deep saucepan, melt the butter over a low-medium heat. Add the leeks, carrots and celery, then season with salt. Gently fry for 10 minutes, stirring regularly, until the veg has coloured a little and softened slightly. You may need to turn down the heat a little if the vegetables start to burn.
- Add the garlic and ginger, then cook for a minute before pouring in the stock. Bring the soup to a simmer and gently bubble for 10 minutes or until the vegetables are nearly cooked.
- Crumble the noodles into the soup, then add the shredded chicken and lemon juice. Taste and season with salt and pepper, then simmer for 2-3 minutes more until the noodles are tender. Garnish with fresh flatleaf parsley, if you like.
Rate & review
Or, how about...?
Chicken noodle broth
This speedy chicken noodle broth, with miso, chilli and ginger makes a brilliant shortcut supper.