Cornish gouda with sourdough and rocket
- December 2020
- Serves 4
- Hands-on time 15 min, oven time 8-10 min, plus cooling
A cheese course is a special treat at Christmas but if you fancy something different to the typical cheeseboard, Rick and Jack Stein’s Cornish gouda with sourdough and rocket might be a nice sharing option instead. It’s like a big sharing pizza with cheese and truffle, what’s not to like?
You can use any hard cheese but Cornish gouda really tastes great.
- 43.9g (14.3g saturated)
- 46.7g (1g sugars)
- 10 thin slices sourdough
- 150ml olive oil
- 2tbsp cider vinegar
- 1 tsp truffle paste (see tips)
- 1 tsp sea salt
- 100g rocket
- 200g Cornish gouda, thinly sliced (see Know-how and tips)
You’ll also need
- Baking sheet lined with compostable baking paper
- Heat the oven to 200°C/180°C fan/gas 6. Toss the sourdough with 5 tbsp of the oil, spread in a single layer on the baking sheet, then bake for 4-5 minutes on each side until golden and crisp. Set aside to cool.
- For the vinaigrette: whisk the vinegar with the truffle paste, salt and remaining oil in a large bowl until emulsified. Season to taste, then toss with the rocket.
- To serve, break up the sourdough and spread over a platter. Cover with the rocket and cheese, then serve in the middle of the table for everyone to share.
Truffle paste is available from delis, larger supermarkets and ocado.com. For thin, even cheese slices, use a cheese slicer or a Y-shaped peeler.
Make the toasts and dressing up to 6 hours ahead. Slice the cheese and assemble to serve.
Rate & review
Or, how about...?
Gouda rye crackers
Crunchy rye crackers make a lovely addition to any dinner party cheeseboard, plus their perfect...