Italian sausage and lentil stew (cotechino al’Inglese)
- May 2007
- Serves 4
- Takes 50 min to make, plus overnight soaking
A recipe for a classic Italian sausage and lentil stew best served with that time-honoured British favourite – Yorkshire puddings.
- 55.8g (20.2g saturated)
- 48.4g (5.7g sugars)
- 8 home-made Yorkshire puddings, hot (or use shop-bought)
- 500g cotechino (freshly made Italian pork sausages) or use garlicky English pork sausages
- Fresh Parmesan shavings, to serve
- Good handful chopped fresh parsley, to serve
For the lentil stew
- 200g dry Italian lentils
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- 70g cubed smoked pancetta
- 1 small onion, finely chopped
- Few fresh sage leaves, finely chopped
- 2 garlic cloves, finely chopped
- 4 tbsp passata
- Soak the lentils in a generous amount of warm water overnight.
- The following day, drain the lentils, rinse, return to the pan and cover with plenty of fresh cold water. Place the pan over a high heat and bring to the boil. Cook for 10-12 min, then drain the lentils and refresh under cold water. Set aside.
- Heat the olive oil in a frying pan over a medium-low heat. Add the pancetta, chopped onion, sage and garlic and cook, stirring occasionally, for 3-4 min, until the onion has softened. Add the cooked lentils and passata and cover with 250ml boiling water. Season and simmer for 20 min, stirring occasionally, until the water has been absorbed. Keep hot over a low heat.
- Meanwhile, make the Yorkshire puddings or, if using shop-bought Yorkshire puddings, cook according to the pack instructions until risen and golden, then turn off the oven and leave inside to keep hot.
- While the Yorkshire puddings are cooking, cook the sausages in a saucepan of boiling water for about 20 min. Drain, cool slightly, then peel off and discard the skins. Cut each one into chunks.
- To serve, divide the hot Yorkshire puddings between plates, spoon the hot lentil stew between each and top with chunks of sausage. Scatter with some Parmesan shavings and the parsley to serve.
Start this recipe the day before serving.
Rate & review
Or, how about...?
Summer stew recipes and pot roasts
Tomato, merguez sausage and cannellini summer stew
The merguez sausage in this summery stew recipe brings a welcome touch of spice to...