Creamy bread sauce for two
- December 2011
- Serves 2
- Takes 5 minutes to make, 15 minutes to cook, plus at least 1 hour infusing
Quiet Christmas with the two of you? This creamy bread sauce recipe makes just enough for two people – perfect for a chilled out Christmas Day.
We’ve got 100+ more dinner recipes for two to browse.
- 12.1g (7.4g saturated)
- 12.7g carbs (3.7g sugars)
- ½ small onion
- 1 blade of mace
- 150ml whole milk
- 2 fresh bay leaves
- 6 black peppercorns
- 25g fresh white breadcrumbs
- 10g butter
- 1 tbsp double cream
- Freshly grated nutmeg
- Slice the onion and put it in a small pan with the mace, milk, bay leaves and peppercorns. Bring to the boil, then take off the heat and leave for at least 1 hour to infuse.
- Bring back to the boil, then take off the heat, strain and return to the pan. Stir in the breadcrumbs and half the butter. Rest for 15 minutes.
- Just before serving, bring the sauce back to a simmer, then stir in the rest of the butter, the cream and some nutmeg, salt and pepper.
Make the bread sauce up to the end of step 1, then leave to infuse for a couple of hours and finish off before serving.
Rate & review
Or, how about...?
Subscribe to our magazine
Food lovers, treat yourself this Christmas... Enjoy 12 months of magazines for £29.99 – just £2.50 an issue.Subscribe
Unleash your inner chef
Looking for inspiration? Receive the latest recipes with our newsletter