Creamy morel soup
- May 2012
- Serves 6
- Takes 10 min to make, 25 min to cook
Enjoy the rich, nutty flavour of spring’s morel mushrooms with this creamy soup – a must for mushroom lovers.
- 29.1g (17.9 saturated)
- 5.5g (1.9g sugar)
- 1 thick white bread slice, crusts removed
- 2-3 tbsp milk
- 80g butter
- 2 shallots, finely chopped
- 500g morels, finely chopped (see tip)
- 3 garlic cloves, crushed
- 850ml good-quality vegetable stock
- 2 tbsp finely chopped fresh parsley, plus extra to serve
- Grating of nutmeg
- Truffle oil (optional)
- 175ml double cream, plus extra
- Put the bread on a saucer and drizzle with the milk. Melt the butter in a saucepan and cook the shallots over a low heat for 6-8 minutes until translucent and slightly golden.
- Add the chopped morels, increase the heat and fry for 2-3 minutes, stirring. Stir in the garlic and fry for another minute.
- Tear the bread into pieces and add it to the pan, stirring, until it has broken down completely. Pour in the stock, bring to a simmer and cook for 10-12 minutes until the mushrooms are very soft.
- Add the parsley, nutmeg and a few drops of truffle oil (if using), then blend until smooth. Add the cream, season to taste, then bring back to the boil. Pour into Thermos flasks. Serve in mugs with a drizzle of cream and a sprinkle of parsley.
Morels should be cleaned with a soft mushroom brush, then dunked in cold water to remove any grit from their crinkles. If you can’t find fresh morels, use dried ones (soak for 10 minutes in warm water first, then drain) or use a mixture of fresh and dried. If you prefer, use another mushroom for this soup, or try a mix of varieties
Rate & review
Or, how about...?
Subscribe to our magazine
Unleash your inner chef
Looking for inspiration? Receive the latest recipes with our newsletter