Chilli pumpkin and wild mushroom soup
- December 2008
- Serves 4
- Takes 25 minutes to make and 1¼ hours to cook
This vegetarian pumpkin soup recipe is one big embrace in a bowl, perfect for a holiday dinner party.
- Dairy-free recipes
- Gluten-free recipes
- Vegan recipes
- Vegetarian recipes
- 800g pumpkin, peeled and diced into rough 2.5cm chunks
- 1½ leeks, sliced and washed well
- 4 tbsp olive oil
- ½ tsp dried chilli flakes
- 3 cloves of garlic, sliced
- A small handful of dried porcini (about 10g)
- 1 tsp chopped marjoram
- 1 tsp thinly-sliced red chilli
- A big nugget of Parmesan cheese, grated
- Salt and pepper
- Over a very low heat, in a wide saucepan with the lid on, cook the pumpkin and the leeks in the olive oil for 45 minutes, until they have a pleasing braised appearance.
- Meanwhile, cover the dried mushrooms with 800ml boiling water. After a few minutes, drain them, keeping the soaking water – the porcini will be soft enough to chop up small.
- Stir the chilli flakes and garlic into the pumpkin and continue to cook for a further 10 minutes.
- Strain the soaking water through a fine sieve on to the pumpkin and add the chopped mushrooms. Bring to a simmer and cook until the pumpkin is good and soft (about 20–30 minutes).
- Stir in the marjoram and chilli; check the seasoning, then run a masher haphazardly through the soup a few times, to help the consistency, but don’t overdo it.
- Finish with a flurry of grated Parmesan and a splosh of good extra virgin oil.
This one tastes even better the next day.
Rate & review
Or, how about...?
Subscribe to our magazine
Subscribe to delicious. magazine for HALF PRICESubscribe
Join our newsletter
Packed with menu ideas, recipes, latest competitions and more...