- 500g blackcurrants
- 500ml fruity red wine
- 750g golden caster sugar
- 350-400ml eau de vie or brandy
- Crush the blackcurrants in a bowl with the back of a fork. Stir in the red wine, crushing the fruit again. Cover and leave at room temperature for 24 hours, then strain through a muslin-lined sieve into a pan.
- Stir in the caster sugar and heat gently until dissolved. Bring up to a tremble of a simmer and cook for 2 hours until reduced to 900ml syrup. Cool, then stir in the eau de vie or brandy.
- Pour into sterilised bottles and seal. Leave for 2 days before using. Use within 1 year.
- Serve with chilled spakrling or still white wine. You could also serve it as a cordial with sparkling water and ice.