Crispy roast potatoes
- December 2007
- Serves 8
- Takes 25 minutes to make and about 1 hour 20 minutes in the oven
Super crispy potatoes are the perfect side dish to soak up your home-made turkey gravy.
- Dairy-free recipes
- Gluten-free recipes
- 5.9g (0.8g saturated)
- 38.3g (1.9g sugar)
- trace salt
- 1.8kg large, floury potatoes, such as maris piper
- 4 tbsp goose fat or olive oil
- Peel, halve or quarter the potatoes, depending on their size. Put into a large saucepan of cold, well-salted water, cover and bring to the boil. Cook for 7 minutes or until soft on the outside but still hard in the centre. Drain and return the potatoes to the pan. Shake the pan so the potatoes rough up a bit.
- Meanwhile, put the fat in the oven tray (that fits into the oven rungs) or a roasting tin – large enough to take the potatoes in a single layer. Bake for 5 minutes to heat up the fat.
- Carefully tip the potatoes into the hot fat, gently toss to evenly coat, then pour away the excess fat – this ensures the potatoes are dry and crisp, not greasy. Return to the oven and roast alongside the turkey at 190°C/fan170°C/gas 5 for 1 hour, turning halfway.
- When you remove the turkey from the oven, increase the oven temperature to 200°C/fan180°C/gas 6. Transfer the potatoes to the top shelf of the oven and cook for a further 15 minutes or until crisp, golden and cooked through.
To freeze potatoes, parboil for 3 minutes, then drain. When cold, sprinkle with rosemary or thyme, if you like, open freeze in a single layer in a tray, then pop into freezer bags for up to 1 month. Cook the potatoes from step 3 of the recipe.
Rate & review
Or, how about...?
Roast potatoes and apples with bacon and herb salt
Just when you thought roast potatoes couldn’t get any better we’ve combined perfectly crisp roasties...