Crispy crushed potatoes with fennel and garlic
- April 2010
- Serves 8
- Takes 5 min to make, 1¼-1½ hours to cook
You had to be mad not to love the crispy crunch and soft flesh of a roast potatoes. This roast potatoes recipe has the added bonus of fennel and garlic flavours.
- 4.4g (1.2g)
- 21.2g (1.7g sugar)
- 1kg new potatoes, scrubbed
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- Knob of butter
- 1 garlic bulb, cloves separated and left unpeeled
- 2 tsp fennel seeds
- Grated zest of 1 lemon
- Preheat the oven to 180°C/fan160°C/gas 4. Place the potatoes in a large saucepan, cover with water, season with salt and bring to the boil. Cook for 10 minutes until tender, then drain well.
- Heat the oil and butter in a large roasting tray in the oven until just hot. Tumble in the potatoes and crush gently with the back of a fork to burst the skins, turning in the hot oil. Season, add the garlic cloves and roast for 1 hour-1¼ hours, tossing occasionally, until golden and crisp. Add the fennel seeds for the last 20 minutes of cooking.
- Spoon into a serving dish. Scatter with lemon zest to serve.
Cook the potatoes on the lower shelf of the oven underneath the pork. You can then move them to the top shelf while the pork is resting to help them crisp up.
Rate & review