Deep-filled mince pies
- November 2020
- Makes 12
- Hands-on time 30 min, oven time 20 min, plus chilling
These deep-filled mince pies are a special way to say thank you to friends and neighbours this year. Make a batch and store in a pretty tin for a thoughtful gift.
If you’re looking for mincemeat dessert, our GIANT mince pie tart is a joy to make and will be sure to please.
- 17.8g (10g saturated)
- 67.3g (44.9g sugars)
- 350g plain flour, plus extra to dust
- 225g butter, softened
- 120g caster sugar
- 1 medium free-range egg, plus 1 beaten to glaze
- 750g mincemeat (buy ready-made or use our recipe)
- Demerara sugar to sprinkle
- Icing sugar to dust (optional)
You’ll also need…
- 10cm and 8cm round biscuit cutters
- 12-hole deep muffin tin
- Put the flour, butter and a pinch of salt in a food processor, then pulse a few times. Add the caster sugar, pulse for 2-3 seconds, then add the egg and pulse until it just comes together. Add a splash of cold water if needed. (Alternatively lightly mix the flour, butter and a pinch of salt in a large mixing bowl, then stir in the caster sugar, egg and water.)
- Turn out onto a lightly floured surface. Knead briefly until smooth.
- Cut off a third of the pastry, wrap and chill until needed. Roll out the remaining pastry on a lightly floured surface to roughly 5mm thick. Use the 10cm cutter to cut out 12 rounds, lining the holes in the muffin tin as you work. Spoon about 2 tbsp mincemeat into each case.
- Roll out the remaining pastry on a lightly floured surface, then use the 8cm cutter to make 12 lids. Cut a steam hole in each, brush the edges with beaten egg, then set the lids on top of the pies and gently press to seal. Chill for at least 20 minutes.
- Heat the oven to 200°C/180°C fan/ gas 6. Brush the pies with beaten egg, then sprinkle with demerara sugar and bake for 20 minutes until golden. Cool in the tin for 5 minutes, then transfer to a wire rack (see Make Ahead). Serve warm or cold, dusted with icing sugar if you like.
If you’re buying mincemeat to use in this recipe, check it’s vegetarian if need be.
Store the mince pies in an airtight container for up to 3 days. Reheat in a low oven.
Rate & review
Or, how about...?
Subscribe to our magazine
Subscribe to delicious. magazine for HALF PRICESubscribe
Join our newsletter
Packed with menu ideas, recipes, latest competitions and more...