Easy Greek pasticcio
- August 2019
- Serves 4
- Hands-on time 30 min, oven time 25 min
Bring the sun-kissed flavours of Greece to your table with our easy pasticcio recipe, made with a lamb mince base and creamy feta cheese topping.
On the look out for more dishes from Greece? Check out our collection of Greek recipes for a hearty dose of inspiration.
- 596 kcals
- 22.7g (10g saturated)
- 58.4g (9.2 sugars)
- 1 tbsp vegetable oil
- 1 red onion, finely chopped
- 400g British lamb mince (10% fat)
- 1½ tsp Mediterranean seasoning (see tip)
- 4 garlic cloves, crushed
- 400g tin chopped tomatoes
- 2 tsp chopped fresh oregano, plus extra to serve (or ½ tsp dried)
- 275g dried macaroni
For the topping
- 150-200ml full-fat thick greek yogurt
- 1 medium free-range egg, beaten
- 80g good-quality feta, crumbled
- Heat the oil in a large frying pan over a medium heat. Add the onion and cook, stirring, for 6-8 minutes softening. Increase the heat, add the mince and cook, stirring, for 5 minutes until browned.
- Add the Mediterranean seasoning and garlic to the pan and cook, stirring, for 1 minute. Add the tomatoes, half-fill the can with water, then add it to the pan with the oregano. Bring to the boil, then season and reduce the heat. Simmer for 20 minutes.
- Heat the oven to 180°C/160°C fan/gas 4. For the topping, in a mixing bowl combine the yogurt, egg and half the feta. Season with pepper (feta is already salty).
- Cook the macaroni in a large pan of boiling salted water until just al dente. Drain, then spoon half into a deep ovenproof dish and season with salt and pepper. Top with the mince, then add the remaining macaroni, pressing down with the back of a spoon.
- Spoon the yogurt topping over the pasta to cover, then scatter with the remaining feta to finish. Bake for 25 minutes or until golden and bubbling. Serve sprinkled with extra oregano, if you like.
Mediterranean seasoning is a blend of dried peppers, herbs and spices – we used Bart Blends (for larger supermarkets and Ocado.com).
Rate & review