Fig and pistachio friands
- March 2008
- 140g unsalted butter, melted, plus extra for greasing
- 100g peeled unsalted pistachios, plus extra chopped pistachios, for decorating
- 50g plain flour
- 200g icing sugar, plus extra for dusting
- 4 large egg whites
- 100g dried ready-to-eat figs, stems removed and chopped into small chunks
- Preheat the oven to 190°C/fan170°C/gas 5. Lightly butter 15 holes of a friand tin, small muffin tin or 15 patty pans. Place the nuts in a food processor and blitz to fine crumbs.
- Sift the flour and 160g icing sugar into the food processor and blitz for a few seconds. Add the melted butter to the dry ingredients in the processor and blitz to combine. Tip the mixture into a medium mixing bowl.
- In another bowl, whisk the egg whites with the remaining icing sugar and a pinch of salt until they form soft peaks. Mix a third of the egg white into the flour and butter mixture, then add the fig chunks. Carefully fold in the remaining two-thirds of the egg whites. Spoon the friand mixture into the prepared moulds and bake for 20-22 minutes, until a skewer inserted into a friand comes out barely moist.
- Leave to cool for 10 minutes before gently tapping out and cooling on a wire rack. Serve dusted with icing sugar and scattered with the extra chopped pistachios.
Rate & review